Below you’ll find the newest edition to Backpackingmatt – Travel Videos. I’m excited at the opportunity to share my tips and experiences in video format. This will hopefully allow you to better get a feel for the destinations I travel to.
I look forward to any feedback about my first video – be it positive or negative. Please feel free to share them in the comments section below.
The first (of hopefully many) travel video takes you to the rugged, West Coast of New Zealand’s South Island. I hope you enjoy Episode 1 of my Budget Travel Videos in Franz Josef, New Zealand.
Additional Franz Josef Tips
- For any glacier viewing you plan to do, start early. Clouds often come in during the early afternoon.
- Everything is extremely expensive in Franz Josef – plan accordingly. Stock up on food, drink, and petrol before you arrive.
- In the high summer season, book your accommodation well in advance as the village will fill up.
- Your cheapest option for food in Franz Josef is the fish and chips shop on the street parallel to the main road (there are only two streets, I trust you’ll find it!). It’s a fish and chips shop, internet cafe, and laundromat combo.
- The glacier is found about 5kms outside of the village. If you don’t have your own transportation, you should have good luck hitching to the glacier carpark. Otherwise, you can catch a shuttle for about $10 return.
- For good nightlife, check out the Monsoon Bar – their motto is, When it Rains, We Pour. And it rains a lot in Franz Josef. It’s a busy place especially when the Kiwi Experience bus shows up. On Wednesday nights, head up to the Blue Ice Bar for the best (and only) karaoke in Franz.
- If you want to attempt to get away from the tourist crowd, consider checking out the Haast Public Bar. It’s about 1km north of the village center and offers the only reasonably priced pint in Franz Josef. With a pool table, a juke box, and a tough, West Coast barmaid, you can have a good night out. Ask about their Riggers and you can take away two liters of beer for about $12.
- For more about the Franz Josef Glacier Guides hike, check out this post.
- For pictures from a helicopter ride over the glaciers, check out this photo essay.